1 – Let’s start with the basics – The control of hot water refers to the workings of a boiler
- Should it be a hot water boiler or a steam boiler type, there are a lot of many components which determine the sort of hot water controls.
- Normally, there are mechanical and/or more nowadays, electronic controls to help in regulating the fuel and water levels in a boiler.
- Water level are of the most importance to the proper working of any boiler.
- Boilers must have enough water to prevent any overheating.
- Some water will escape via evaporation because boilers are open systems, although unnecessary amounts of water do happen to escape should there be any leaking seams and dirty valves.
2 – The kind of hot water control utilised in preventing overheating is known as a “low water shut-off”
- These come in two designs – probe and float.
- Probes are an electronic shut-off.
- A wand (the probe) sits directly beneath the water line.
- An electrical circuit which controls the burner is completed by using the water as a path to grounding.
- Should the water fall below the probe, the circuit is then broken and the boiler switches off.
- For professional boiler repair in west London contact a well-established service.
- The float low water shut-off, is inside the boiler, floats at the water line and connects to the burner switch.
- If the water line falls too low, the switch is triggered and the burner shuts down.
- It is similar to the float system in a toilet cistern, which prevents the inflow of water after reaching the right level.
3 – An extra hot water control may be fixed to the low water shut-off known as a “feeder component”
- The feeder provides extra water if required to keep the right water level, while the shut-off mechanism prevents overheating.
- When enough water has returned to the boiler chamber, a sensor recognizes it is at the correct level and reignites the burners.
- Burners typically are powered by gas.
- Sometimes, electricity is used if no other fuel is available, but this can be expensive.
- Modulating controls, or air/fuel loss-limiting controls, deal with the levels of air allowed to the combustion of fuel, and thus maximise fuel efficiency.
4 – Finally, Solar hot water is becoming more popular in the UK, although the prices will have to drop before it really takes off
- This quiet trend is on the rise time and there will be a time in the future when solar power can be fully integrated and utilised.
- Destiny has ruled that solar power will eventually power the world, but when is another question!
The demand for hot water on our boilers happens to change with the seasons of the year and fuel consumption, be it gas or electric is adjusted accordingly. Make sure your boiler is working efficiently and if it isn’t or has stopped altogether, contact experts with the knowledge to get it back in great shape and up and running ASAP!